This recipe has all my favourite flavours in a lovely easy bake AND it's gluten free! Go and follow Ellen's Instagram page for a loads of cake based inspiration (@ellendrussell).
120g Unsalted butter, softened to room temp
275g Caster sugar
½ tsp Vanilla extract
Zest of 3 lemons
240g Ground almonds
4 Eggs, separated and at room temp
Flaked almonds to decorate
Icing sugar for dusting
You will need.
Stand mixer – beater attachment
Electric hand whisk
A separate mixing bowl
18cm (7”) Cake tin
1. Heat oven to 160°C fan. Grease and line the base and sides of your cake tin with baking paper and set aside
2. Place butter, 165g of the caster sugar, vanilla and the lemon zest into your stand mixer and beat together for 8-10mins (medium/high speed), till pale and creamy.
3. Next add the egg yolks, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl and mixing well between each addition. Continue to beat until fully combined.
4. Add the ground almonds and beat on a medium speed to combine
5. Add the ricotta and on a low speed mix well till combined.
6. In a separate bowl, whisk your egg whites with your electric hand whisk until soft peak stage. Then add the remaining sugar and whisk again until stiff peaks form.
7. Gently fold in one third of the egg white mixture into the ricotta cake batter (still in your stand mixer bowl) and fold in gently with a metal spoon. Repeat with the rest of the egg whites till fully incorporated.
8. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin, smooth the top with the back of your spoon, decorate with the almond flakes and bake for 55-60mins, or until a piece of spaghetti is pierced into the cake and it comes out clean.
9. Allow to cool completely in the tin before removing and dusting with icing sugar.